An Update from the Standing Committee
Since the announcement of Bishop Hayashi’s resignation/retirement, the Standing Committee has been meeting regularly to build the necessary foundation to launch a bishop search and transition process and to lay the groundwork for calling the next bishop of Utah. Below is a list of what we have been up to and how you can participate in these early stages of the process.
Search and Transition Consultant
A consultant is traditionally hired to walk with the Standing, Search, and Transition Committees from the initial building of the foundation of the process all the way to the consecration of the new bishop. Your Standing Committee has met with the Rt. Rev. Todd Ousley, Bishop for the Office of Pastoral Development in the Presiding Bishop’s Office and has hired The Very Rev. Ron Clingenpeel as consultant to guide us in the process of selecting the Twelfth Bishop of Utah.
Theological Statement & Prayer
Rev. Lynn Briggs, Standing Committee member, has drafted a theological statement (which will be shared in our next communication), and a prayer that we hope each faith community will read, inwardly digest, and pray throughout the entire process of calling our next bishop. The prayer is offered at the end of this communication.
Per the Diocese of Utah canons, the Search/Nominating Committee members are elected by a committee of Electors composed of one (1) lay person from each congregation and all clergy canonically & geographically resident in the diocese. The Elector committee has been organized and will convene on January 11, 2020, to elect the Search/Nominating Committee members. The Standing Committee is now accepting Nomination forms for lay leaders and clergy to serve on the Search/Nomination Committee.
For the Search Committee job description, please click here.
- Search Committee Job Description communicated to congregations (Friday, December 6, 2019)
- Elector names from each congregation received (Deadline, Sunday, December 15, 2019)
- Search Committee Nomination forms available online (Monday, December 16, 2019)
- Search Committee Nomination forms due (Tuesday, December 31, 2019)
- Convocation of Electors to elect Search Committee (Saturday, January 11, 2020)
- Announcement of Search Committee members (Monday, January 13, 2020)
- Search Committee Organizing Retreat with consultant (February 7-8, 2020, at the Episcopal Church Center in Salt Lake City)
- Plans for Job Description and Application for Transition Committee
The Standing Committee is working with Canon Craig Wirth and Halee Oliver, our communication team for the Diocese of Utah, and together we will launch a bishop search website. This website will communicate information and updates directly related to the search process. The bishop search website address will be forthcoming. This website will also be used for the profile and search process.
Ways to Participate
There are many ways to be part of the search and transition process! Here are a few:
- Pray!: Pray for the Standing Committee and pray for the process as we seek our new bishop for the Diocese of Utah. Please use the bishop search prayer (below) in your regular worship.
- Search Committee: Please read, think, and pray deeply about the Search/Nomination Committee. Discern whether you feel called to submit your name. Discern other people in your faith community who have some of the desired skills and gifts and encourage them to apply. For the Search Committee job description, please click here.
- Transition Committee: In the next 2-3 months, the Standing Committee will discern and appoint a Transition Committee. Stay tuned for a Transition Committee Job Description and online application.
Gracious God, we are grateful for all that You are and for all you have done through the Episcopal Diocese of Utah. We ask you now draw us closer to you and to each other as we engage in the search for our new bishop. Grant us discerning hearts which will fully trust in the guidance of your Holy Spirit. Bless the people of this diocese with your power and purpose and bless this holy work we do in your name to your glory. This we ask in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.
In conclusion, we ask your prayers for us, the Standing Committee, as we continue this important and holy work.
If you have any questions about the search, please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Nancy Tanner, President
Rev. Garang Gabriel Atem
Rev. Lyn Briggs
Rev. Isabel Gonzalez